Rocky Mountain ATV/MC

A Southern Tradition Since 1996!

Upcoming Events

Registration Opens January 2, 2019

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 8      Prev   1   2   3   4   5   Next   »
DRIVER

Reply with quote  #16 
Wow, I'll bet there are some stories being told today!  I have a dirt stain in my garage that will remind me of this weekend for a while.  Thanks to all for the weekend.  Swampy and Mrs. Swampy deserve a round of applause.  A bunch of people put forth the effort and it once again resulted in a fun weekend.

DR Dave and I started running sweep years ago when on a whim Swampy asked us if we'd mind.  We were not picked due to any special mechanical skill sets or knowledge of the trails or even riding ability.  We must have been standing there with our hands in our pockets or something who knows?  But being crazy enough to say yes was just enough to make Swampy run off yelling something about "the fools said yes ... they are gonna do it!"

But through the years we've been lucky.  We've found some folks who actually needed a bit of help but overall it's great to see riding buddies take care of each other.  A friend who will wade back into that hole he just made it through to pull you out is a friend indeed.  Of course if once in a while you have to wait while the obligatory photo is taken just remember ... it's all good fun.

Saturday was indeed classic.  We preride and plan accordingly to conditions and then the weather laughs in your face.  But as mentioned above it's all good.  I laughed all day at the skid marks into those blind corners, the many odd lines taken in and around the water.  I got stuck a couple of times when I chickened out and lost momentum in the muck I like to think of as Creek Pudding and found that one slippery root that always just waits for you.  We tried to help all that we found but many of you were up and running before we even got close to catching up to the groups. 

Then as the day went on and we got further and further behind, I managed to take the proverbial bad line through a pond that had my name on it.  Yep the sweep team member drowned his own bike.  I could hear my own warnings echo in my brain but sometimes it's just your turn.  I experienced the same thing I hear in the voices of those we've helped here and there.  I wanted to kick myself for letting that happen but ... I followed my own rules and it just was too deep in that spot.  Oh well, time to get busy and drain the fish bowl I like to call my airbox. 

After getting back on the trail we ran into Swampy and we began to leap-frog in an attempt to find any stragglers.  None were found and we got to do a bit of nighttime Creek riding.  That was interesting.

Anyhow, Sunday was indeed nicer to most of us. Sorry we screwed up one portion and came in the opposite direction a bit late to help as much as we would have liked but it happened.  I'm thinking I do need that two wheel drive Rokon to carry all the tools we need.  But it is amazing what we can come up with when needed.  One person might have this and another might have something else.  It most always works out.  Bert even showed up on his road bike at one point and produced a master link after lunch.  This group is great to ride with.

Anyhow, thanks to all and we'll have to do it again ...

Mike
LaurenOE

This Week's
Winning Lotto Numbers:
3-16-17-22-35
Reply with quote  #17 
Thanks Swampy and Mrs. Swampy...we had a great time with the adventure ride!
I had a hurt left foot that I cramed into my boot so I could do the adventure ride on Saturday. although I had to shift in a different way, it was worth the pain!

It was great riding with Samantha and some of the other folks that were with us for a little while!

What a fun ride it was! Not too much sand and the backroads were great!

The food was excellent and so was the organization.

I need to put out a special thanks to Mrs. Swampy in that she really kept things moving in the background.

You guys make a great Dual Sport team!

Thanks!

Lauren and Bill.

Kawasaki ZX10R
Yamaha Zuma 125
swampy

Reply with quote  #18 
Oh... and I forgot...

A special thanks for the great picture (Rob, Bert, Jack and I don't know who else was in on it!) and all of you that autographed it as well. THAT was really nice. I appreciate that. It's now hanging over the compueter desk...

Hey! It's My Birthday!
Reply with quote  #19 
 "DDS catering". Man I like that! They have my vote. I had already had that thought on the way home. That was the best lunch break ever by a long shot.
 Rick
 XR650L

Won My Bike
Playing Poker
Reply with quote  #20 
Swampy & crew,

Thanks for a great ride!  I've got a new black Excel rear on the way so I should be ready to go for the Black Bear DS.

Reply with quote  #21 
Jonas,

Talk about a fluke breakdown. I never heard of that happening to anyone! After all the muck and mire you went through just to have your spokes pull through the wheel... man, that's tough....

I'm Still A New Guy....Kick Me!
Reply with quote  #22 
This is what the inside of my airbox looks like after two days of riding. All that crud at the bottom and on the airbox cover is packed sand.

Notice the water trapped beyond the filter area. We had the bike upside down twice to drain this. Occasionally when I would brake hard or hit some woops, this would splash into the carb and make the engine splutter or kill it.

P.S. I had my airbox taped, probably too much.

Flboy

Delightfully Tacky
Yet Unrefined..."
Reply with quote  #23 

ChrisE... you really need to tape up your airbox and make sure the drain is clean next time. My air filter was really clean considering the abuse. No sand. I had water up to the tank a few times and not even a sputter. I was impressed with the KTM given the airbox design.

Got Mud?
Reply with quote  #24 
Thanks Swampy and all who made this a great time!

Great fun and FOOD!  We really enjoyed joining in this year.  I'm kinda glad I brought the DL and rode 2 up instead of breaking in the DR in the swamp!  Although after watching the movies posted, it did look like fun, although a little tough on equipment at times!

Thanks,

Ken & Elia
pa_28r_200

Let's Listen To My Barry Manilow Albums!
Reply with quote  #25 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flboy

ChrisE... you really need to tape up your airbox and make sure the drain is clean next time. My air filter was really clean considering the abuse. No sand. I had water up to the tank a few times and not even a sputter. I was impressed with the KTM given the airbox design.

Ditto what Don said...I only had about a teaspoon of sand in the bottom of my airbox. I had siliconed the crap out of it. I had absolutely no issues..knock on wood...spending 4 or 5 hours prepping the bike is worth the effort.

Like I told you Swampy, you throw a great party...thanks...looking forward to the next one...

Bruce

Donco

This One Time,
When I Was Flying A Blimp
Over Italy....
Reply with quote  #26 
Here's a couple more video's.
We hung around this hole for awhile while some of the guy's tried to get a bike back up and running.
Just about everyone chickened out and went around the water.
I thought water was actually easier.

Everyone stalls out sooner or later.

ChrisE

I'm Still A New Guy....Kick Me!
Reply with quote  #27 
I taped my air box up with Duct tape and it was still holding good. I did make the mistake down by the drain. My drain flap sits a good 1/2" off the drain tube, too far awaya for water rushing up against it to close it proberly.  I duct taped this to bring it closer, on each side but not on the bottom. I obviously closed the gap too much so sand could not drain out.

I got through all but one puddle, one of the big ones that lots of folks were hanging around at, early Saturday morning. I killed my engine to stop it hydrolocking and pushed the bike out. Once out the bike fired up and ran ok until I hit my brakes and then the water, that was in that little area past the filter, splashed up and hydrolocked the bike. With the tank off, the bike stood up vertical on the rear wheel, the spark plug out and dried, we got it running in about 15 minutes.

unclejimmy

Muffler Bearing Tech Day
Coming Soon!
Reply with quote  #28 
Swampy     Thanks for a super weekend,  Everything was just great,  good food  good folks good clean fun and a  well planned event,    Experience SHOWS.   good on you and your helpers,
uncle jimmy
swampy

Reply with quote  #29 
sleazy

Old post Yesterday at 09:51 PM Reply #1

SWAMPY,

just got back home and after having a moment to reflect, i just wanted to again say "thank you."

you put on one heck of an event.  the time you put into it, the attention to detail, the flawless-ness of the roll charts, the catering (dear god! the ribs and chicken!), the attention you give to every rider, the enthusiasm which you have...   all add up to a truly epic event.  THANK YOU. 

this was my first Devils Creek ride, and now i can see why you have such a devoted following.

THANKS again!

ps-  for anyone that went home early and skipped SUNDAYs ride...  you missed what will be described as the finest day of dualsport riding in 2008.

mr_guns

Starting To Get The Hang Of This...

Old post Yesterday at 10:06 PM Reply #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleazy
SWAMPY,

just got back home and after having a moment to reflect, i just wanted to again say "thank you."

you put on one heck of an event.  the time you put into it, the attention to detail, the flawless-ness of the roll charts, the catering (dear god! the ribs and chicken!), the attention you give to every rider, the enthusiasm which you have...   all add up to a truly epic event.  THANK YOU. 

this was my first Devils Creek ride, and now i can see why you have such a devoted following.

THANKS again!

ps-  for anyone that went home early and skipped SUNDAYs ride...  you missed what will be described as the finest day of dualsport riding in 2008.
Ditto and you are right about the Sunday ride it was awsome if you missed it you miss a good one and it was A LOT DRYER....

FMYStreetRacer

Freshman Adventurer

Old post Yesterday at 10:22 PM Reply #3

Thanks Swampy that ride was awsome!!!!!

Sunday was definatly better that Saturday but yet i still managed to take a swim today.

1999 Suzuki Dr350SE                
                                bronc3

AS In Adventure Studies

Unread post Today at 08:39 PM Reply #4

Yup, thanks man it was epic!

Sophmore Adventurer

Unread post Today at 08:48 PM Reply #5

BOTH days were spectacular!.  Thanks again.
3 of us on the Adv. Sat ride stopped in at the winery.  boy did we look out of place.  (Didn't taste a drop, not one of us.)

I know McPush, and you Sir, are no McPush!
Reply with quote  #30 
I'll say it again: Thank You just doesn't capture it. Swampy and friends put on an awesome ride. Challenging to both riders and equipment, and a sense of accomplishment for all who made the effort. Thank You Swampy, Mrs. Swampy, Sweep Riders, Pre-Riders, Tech Inspectors, Bull-Shoot Coordinators and evryone else who contributed.

Sign me up for the next one!

Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Rocky Mountain ATV/MC

Dedicated to Dirt and Street!

Florida-Georgia-Alabama-Tennessee-North Carolina-South Carolina-Virginia-Mississippi...And Beyond!