Rocky Mountain ATV/MC

A Southern Tradition Since 1996!

Upcoming Events

2019 Event Has SOLD OUT IN 25 HOURS!

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 3      Prev   1   2   3   Next
Woodman

Emergency Parking Only
Reply with quote  #16 

Alright guys, I didn't get as many pics as I wanted, but I'll share with you what I have:

Saturday, just a bit before the riders meeting

The first gas stop on Saturday:

Bubba, Mrs.Bubba,and Woodman'sWife at a rest stop

This was Mrs.Bubba's first Adventure ride, and she did great on that little XT225 !

Emergency Parking Only
Reply with quote  #17 

There was actually a few spectators along the route:

Hey, a street named after Me & the Mrs., how nice!

A few of us stopped in for lunch

At this place:

Swampy deciding what to have for lunch:

Emergency Parking Only
Reply with quote  #18 

Paul on his beautiful Vstrom

Bubba and Mrs.Bubba on the road Saturday:

Emergency Parking Only
Reply with quote  #19 

Saturday was great, but Sunday brought more beautiful weather, and better yet...the woods! Conditions both weather wise and trail conditions were outstanding

Here's our fearless leader at Sunday's riders meeting:

MiamiMike having trouble along the power lines.:

MiamiMike again a little later that day:

Training wheels are ordered & on the way 

I spotted this sign on the trailer back at camp:

would that be the Swamy Swampy? 

regardless, our group came through the weekend injury free & with wide smiles......  Thanks again, Swampy & crew !!!!

Hey! You're Blinker's On!
Reply with quote  #20 

Mike is a really a great rider, his problem is that he gets so excited at these events that he sometimes forgets things like putting his feet on the ground when he comes to a stop.

Emergency Parking Only
Reply with quote  #21 

Bob, you're exactly right....just ribbing Mike a little.....we love ya Mike !!!!

I saw a lot of other guys with cameras, so c'mon guys !!!!!,

let's get your pics posted  !!!

Reply with quote  #22 

Devils Creek Dual Sport starts with the tech inspection line up.

No guess work here. Under 92 db and you're good to go.

After signing a few papers regarding something about motorcycles being dangerous and traffic laws it's on to..... more paper work.??????? 

125 miles compressed to 7 feet.

Route sheet installed.

Swampy singlehandedly gives motorcyclists a good name. Thanks for orchestrating a fine tuned event. Viva La Swampy!

Finishing touches.

Beauty contest winner.

No bailout sections for these guys. 

Primo trail conditions. 

Air down for the sandy sections.

At the riders meeting Swampy reiterated that this was not a race. So I stopped here not to check the map, not to reset or adjust the bike but only to indulge myself in the beauty of the day.

The mood was high at the lunch stop.

The first half was excellent. How could the second half be any better?

Workhorse.

First runner up in the beauty contest.

belly full of meat then lie down in the sun...The lions are satisfied. 

Lunch is over. Let's ride!

End of the trail. My route sheet read "Return to Sertoma" and like a raucous party it was over too soon. I felt a touch a melancholy crossing back over the Withlacoochee River as I retraced the days ride in my mind. I'll be back next year!

Hey! You're Blinker's On!
Reply with quote  #23 

Sorry I missed it. I'm gonna get on the stick and signup early next year.....really....no really I will.

Reply with quote  #24 

Thanks for all the kudo's guys. I, the Mrs, and the work crew really appreciate it.

Many people don't really realize what goes into an event (much different than a ride). After all, we need to take 100 people of different abilities, get them to lunch at a decent hour, get them back, and headed for home so they arrive early enough to get a good nights rest before work on Monday!

So here's where the kudo's really belong:

Mike Driver and DRDave Smith - sweep and layout crew extrodinaire. Rich Bumer, the sound guy. I can't say enough. He takes his profession as an environmental engineer and brings it to his hobby. Rich is responsible for quieting down the south. Really. Great guys. Without them, this event would not happen.Thanks! I appreciate you guys more than you'll know!

Rob Parker, new to the Inner workings of Dixie. A real trooper. layout, sweep, even has volunteered to be a Cross-Florida ride leader. Top notch guy.

Then there's Bill "SandShark" Whalen and "Hungry Jim" Osborne. Be Advised: Give these brothers a break!

Now the faithful; Jack "Dirtboy" Lambert from Barneys' Yamaha in St Pete and Tom "Treemagnet" Rooks. These guys have been with me since Day 3. Super enthusiasts. They're the event day pre-rider you never see, but they make sure the ribbons are up, add a few if needed, and guide your way through the woods. 10 years of props to these guys. The Best.

And what would Devil's Creek be without Mrs Swampy. The First Lady of Dixie! First, she puts up with me. Second, she loves to do sign-up and talk to you guys. She's all giddy come event weekend. She LOVES you guys! Heck, she even made brownies for the lucky few who arrived at lunch early! A total sweetheart who supports these endeavours creating events, rides, and tours for you guys.

And Swampette (Brittney) now 17, who was there since the 2nd Creek cooking hot dogs under the big tree and this weekend, 10 years later, helping with registration with her boyfriend Ryan.

All told, it took 238 man hours over 6 days to bring this event to you. Quite an undertaking once you sit back and look at it.

DixieDualSport events are about having a good time.

Rule #1: Have a smile on your face. This is fun.

Rule#2: Don't get hurt.

Rule#3: Get to lunch, then figure what you want to do the rest of the day.

If you achieved those three marks, you made our day. And from these posts, it looks like these folks didn't waste their time bringing this together for you.

Oh...and props to you guys. It's been 11 years. There are old friend, familiar faces, and new aquaintences. I thank you all.

Devil's Creek has been...well... a part of my life for 11 years. It's right there with Thanksgiving, Christmas, and our anniversary. It's not a ride. It, and you, are part of our family. You (Dixie folks) are the greatest bunch of people I've ever met in my life. And I thank each and every one of you for bringing a smile to face, and an excitement in my life.

I LOVE Event days!

Thanks a bunch guys!

We'll see you at Bike Week!

Reply with quote  #25 

So a couple of weeks ago, Bob Mehl sold his KTM 525 to a great guy..Graeme (Graham). He hasn't ridden a lot a dirt but came out for his first Devils Creek to ride with us. He did an outstanding job ...and then came those three large whoops about half way through Cabbage Head Rd.

We made the turn into them at about 40mph or so. I was leading our group and after I cleared them I pulled to the side to wait for the rest.

Here's Robert Noa on his DRZ 400, no problem. And here comes Mark Starcher on his KTM 450. Again No Problem...

When Graeme came around the corner and saw those whoops his eye's must have been the size of his goggles.

Cleared the first one. That a boy Graeme, Cleared the second one. I know you can do it. Cleared the third one, but somethings not right. Grames goes up and the Bikes goes down. Graeme goes down and the Bike goes up. Both the bike and Graeme end up in the trees lining the north side of Cabbage patch rd.

We come to his aid and he rolls over and comes to his senses. He complains about a sore shoulder but gets on his bike and rides to lunch. At lunch he tells me that his shoulder is sore and he doesn't want to hold us up for the afternoon section.  With that we wish him well and he heads back to the truck via SR50 west.

So I get an email from him today.. Seems he broke his collarbone in 4 places and is set for surgery this week.

He rode half the morning with a collarbone broken in 4 places....

Get well soon Graeme. You are one tough Dixie Dual sport rider. 

Bert

Bert   09 KTM 530 07 Triumph Tiger 1050  06 Kawasaki KLR650 07 Yamaha YZ 250 1976 Husky WR250 1978 Suzuki RM250 1981 Honda CM 400 W/Velorex Sidecar Because the ride shouldn't end just because the pavement does! May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. -Edward Abbey Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. Harold McAlindon
ChrisE

I'm Still A New Guy....Kick Me!
Reply with quote  #26 

Jeez, that sucks for Graeme. Sitting next to him, on the ground at lunch, you would never have known he was in pain.

When we set off, after lunch, I asked Mark where he was and he just said he was going to take it easy going back.

I bust my collar bone through in two places about 3 years ago so I know roughly what he must have been feeling. That day I had to drive my Suburban home 90 miles, can't even contemplate having to ride a bike 20 to 30 miles, even on the street.

Well I took your place in this group, Graeme, and I think they tried to crush my bones and turn me into soup also, just kidding.

This was one of the best rides I've ever had.

Get well soon Graeme.

JohnHardiman

BONGO!
Reply with quote  #27 

"We come to his aid and he rolls over and comes to his senses. He complains about a sore shoulder but gets on his bike and rides to lunch. At lunch he tells me that his shoulder is sore and he doesn't want to hold us up for the afternoon section.  With that we wish him well and he heads back to the truck via SR50 west.

So I get an email from him today.. Seems he broke his collarbone in 4 places and is set for surgery this week.

He rode half the morning with a collarbone broken in 4 places...."

.....and there were about 6 of us looking at Graham with our wisdom..."Dude it would be all swollen & blue by now, you just bumped it a little...nothing broken...lets ride"> He is one tough guy as I have broken 3 Collar bones & 2 shoulders from dirtbikes & to ride on is no easy task. Graham you da man!!

Then I rode another .5mi & fell in a mud hole...lol

KTM 300XC, KTM 1190R, 1988 KTM 350, Sherco 3.0 Trials, 79 Husky 390WR, Honda XR650R, Honda Grom,  Yamaha Zuma, KDX200, KX500, Apollo Pitbike,                TEAM WANKER...Only Pussy's die of natural causes! Member of the Solo Mile High Club! Check out Team Wanker on Facebook!
KLRviking

See Rock City
Reply with quote  #28 

When it comes to Dual sport I'm as ugly green as my KLR.  But I had the best time that I have had in a long time.  Good weater, good food, good people to meet.  KUDOS again to all the crew for putting together a first rate event. I give it a full 5 smileys .  I only rode Sat.  but that was a great intro ride for me.  I am volunteering right now to help out with future events. 

See you all over here in March for bike week.

Thanks Again,

Erik   

Kazoo Virtuoso
Reply with quote  #29 

I had the pleasure of meeting Graembo in the ONF back in Dec. what a nice guy. At Devils Creek he was camped right next to me. He came up and said hi. We didnt get to hook up together on Sunday probably due to me tweaking my knee in the first woods section. If you ever seen him off the bike he is a big guy with even a bigger smile. He also is in the military, not sure what branch, that makes him a hero in my book. Get well Graembo, maybe we can ride Bikeweek DDS or bring out the BMW and we will just stick to the slab.

MikeW

This Week's
Winning Lotto Numbers:
3-16-17-22-35
Reply with quote  #30 

Hi Tiger Tom,

Me and Rich Frady were the ones that stopped to help. I'm glad your OK. Rich has the photo of you in his cell phone. As soon as he gets it to me I will post it. I hope to see you at the next event! God Bless!  

Romans 6:23
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Rocky Mountain ATV/MC

Dedicated to Dirt and Street!

Florida-Georgia-Alabama-Tennessee-North Carolina-South Carolina-Virginia-Mississippi...And Beyond!