A Southern Tradition Since 1996!

Upcoming Events

AMA 2017 DS

Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
sshbsn

DDS Rocks!
Reply with quote  #1 
many many years ago when i was racing mountain bikes, i got the itch to try a motorcycle enduro race. still havent scratched it....

i rode sportbikes for decades, but offroad experience is limited to the past two years exploring southwest florida on a klr650. THANK YOU for the posted routes!

i would like to try some sort of beginnerish enduro race this fall but being older and more brittle with each passing month, i wonder how it will all turn out? the joy of victory? the agony of uninsured hospital stays? a legacy of being "the pretzel under the crashed klr650"?

does anybody want to share insight, wisdom, or anecdotal accounts of dead first-time enduro riders?

thx
steve

edit: i realize a klr650 may not be the pefect bike for this, but im in a "run what you brung" situation...
Scope

They're Always After
Me Lucky Charms!
Reply with quote  #2 
I ride Dual Sport events now.  Not a race, but challenging.  I rode Hare Scrambles years ago. They are 2 hours long.  Enough to exhaust you.  Enduro's are longer.  I always houred out, so I stopped.  Either one, you DO NOT want to do with a KLR 650. For a Dual Sport event, a KLR is only suitable for the Adventure Ride unless you are a very good rider.
Hope this helps....Ralph 

Blr

Got Mud?
Reply with quote  #3 
Ralph nailed it. I recommend dual sport events highly, but I wouldn't recommend dual sport on a KLR 650, unless you're riding in the adventure class. Smaller / lighter bike would be highly recommended. Drz 400, KTM 350/500 or equivalent.
Triumph Rocket 3 Touring

sshbsn

DDS Rocks!
Reply with quote  #4 
i appreciate your replies! i wish i liked your answers but i know you are both correct, looks like my famous enduro career is going to have to wait a little while longer...

just as an aside, three years ago i picked up a beautiful one owner 1978 it 175 but sold it when my son wasnt interested. i think THAT would have made a fun ride for trying out enduros.

anyway, thank you for taking time to give me insight!

steve
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Rocky Mountain ATV/MC

Dedicated to Dirt and Street!

Florida-Georgia-Alabama-Tennessee-North Carolina-South Carolina-Virginia-Mississippi...And Beyond!