Rocky Mountain ATV/MC

A Southern Tradition Since 1996!

Upcoming Events

AMA 2017 DS

Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 3 of 5      Prev   1   2   3   4   5   Next
EbarDP48

Reply with quote  #31 
Another one of those you just have to be there moments where a picture doesn't do justice to the events of the day.

See this picture

Pay special attention to the fact that Rich has his back pack (which just happened to be the size of a small trailer) off. We poked fun about the size of that thing all day Saturday.
Hey Rich, you've picked up a hitchhiker. Hey Quasimodo. Hey Rich, you should see a doctor and have that growth cut off.
Rich defended his backpack all day.
However.....on Sunday, after commenting that his back was bothering him, we noticed him scratching his head and trying to tie it to the back of his bike.
Now I'm no Swami, but I'd bet he's got a box or set of bags by the next trip out.
Another thing about dual sporters..You can't afford to have thin skin because it's only a matter of time before you're the pinata and the rest of us are the stick.
Thankfully Rich takes it all in stride and prepares to take a swing on his next at bat.
Bert

Bert   09 KTM 530 07 Triumph Tiger 1050  06 Kawasaki KLR650 07 Yamaha YZ 250 1976 Husky WR250 1978 Suzuki RM250 1981 Honda CM 400 W/Velorex Sidecar Because the ride shouldn't end just because the pavement does! May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. -Edward Abbey Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. Harold McAlindon
EbarDP48

Reply with quote  #32 
As long as I'm at Bat...
There's a name for the kind of Grin Bob has on his face.
Let's see, Spit eating..no that's not right???? Ship eating..No, Geeeeez, I can't remember what it is.
Take note that I, unlike my riding partner, understand the seriousness of the moment.
Oh well, Bob was about to bust a gut when his new friend arrived.

Bert   09 KTM 530 07 Triumph Tiger 1050  06 Kawasaki KLR650 07 Yamaha YZ 250 1976 Husky WR250 1978 Suzuki RM250 1981 Honda CM 400 W/Velorex Sidecar Because the ride shouldn't end just because the pavement does! May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. -Edward Abbey Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. Harold McAlindon
EbarDP48

Reply with quote  #33 
I found this and had to add it.

DangerousDad47

Just How Old IS Dirt, Exactly?
Reply with quote  #34 
Hey guys, I have been on vacation for a week and a half so I am a little behind in the stories and comments.

One note about the Yearling Resturant.... I bet you didn't pay $7.50 for that PIE.

Yaller Foot Pegs $#8.95 plus shippin ( Damn gas )
Snap Off Foot Peg Company
But wait....
Due to the current economy shippin has gone up

Tiger Tom
Turn Signal Tom
Pops

05 KLR 650 (a future in farkling)
01 KTM 520 Tagged
77 CanAm 250 Qualifier
73 Penton 125 Six Day ( Restored )
95 Triumph Tiger( First DDS Tiger )

If your gonna be stupid you better be tough.( Damn, I gotta start workin out )

If it looks deep...it's deeper. Yep, ask Johnny Africa.

The best way out of most situations is more gas.
swampy

Reply with quote  #35 
I just finalized the route sheet for this one....and I figured something out....

I already have connectors in place.... and I actually have 4 different Cracker Routes PLUS a connector onto the Gulf Coast Trail.....

You'd think this was planned or something!...

But I think I'll finish the Gulf Coast Trail first... one day on the bike and a day on the 'puter and it'll be ready for a test ride... now to interview some willing participants...

Who really needs McGregor and Boorman!

But that's another thread.... let's finish this Cracker Adventure, shall we?

Reply with quote  #36 
"The attention of a traveller, should be particularly turned, in the first place, to the various works of Nature, to mark the distinctions of the climates he may explore, and to offer such useful observations on the different productions as may occur" 
- William Bartram

The Cracker Adventure
Part 7

We leave the upland and inland farms and fields. The terrain slowly changes as the elevation decrease. While that may be funny to some, elevation changes in Florida, it does signal a distinct change in flora and geology, if the explorer is atune to it....

We've been chasing signs like this all day long....

Notice how the plant life has changed from earlier. The fields and hardwoods have given way to lush deep green undergrowth....also notice the top two boxes on the GPS: top one is current speed, second one is average speed...

Rich travelling the 9 Mile Road...

Weaving through the wilds, a bike stands waiting for those who come behind...

...and those who came after...Bert and Bob....

We turn down a side road to the marsh. Here the road ends into the creek. Life in a tidal marsh is different. The creek flows depending on the tide. Today, at this time, the tide was going out, and the flow of the creek itself was swift and noticable...

Rich taking in some of the local wildlife. A large fiddler crab dances and waves from his palm...

The beauty of a tidal marsh should not be underestimated. Waving seas of sawgrass against blue skies, wnd the unique smells that accompanythe marsh make it a special place...

Here Bob leeps a watchful eye on his new best friend. When we first approached the creek a young gator scrambled from the roadway into the stream, only to drift and swim into the sawgrass on a few feet from where we were. We were alway under his watchful eye while we were there...

A scene from a Florida adventure...

Bob and his KLR leave the marsh under the canopy of palms, palmettos, and oaks....

After a day full of riding and Cracker experiences, we're near our destiantion. Only 10 miles away lies the end of the adventure....

We roll across the bridges that span the waterways leading out to Cedar Key. past clam farms and fishing piers, old homes and cafes. We reach our hotel, centrally located and within walking distance of everything including Dock Street...

Yet, at this time, our trip was not complete until we rode the bikes to the Gulf of Mexico...here....our journey is complete...

After a great day of riding from the Atlantic Ocean to the Gulf of Mexico, over paved and unpaved roads, passing through history and earlier time...who can blame Bert...

He's got a little Captain in him....

Just a pretty view from where we were picture takin'...

Dinner was at Frog's Landing and filled with deep dish shrimp pie and the best crab bisque this side of  Pensacola!

11 Hours, 266 miles, coast to coast, 4 guys, hundreds of pictures, and cool stories to tell...

Adventures are more fun, when you can share the experience!

Up Next: The Adventure Epilogue

This Week's
Winning Lotto Numbers:
3-16-17-22-35
Reply with quote  #37 

I loved the stories and I can't wait to ride the ride! Florida has so much to offer. Most people overlook it or don't look for it. Looking forward to the epilogue! 

Kawasaki KLX 250
Suzuki DR200
BMW K1200GT
DRIVER

Reply with quote  #38 
I like Cedar Key so much I've bookmarked a few real estate web sites just in case.   
Every time I head north to visit family and I see that exit off of Hway 19, it kills me to see a car headed west toward the area.  I feel like blocking the road to keep it undiscovered!  But I must play nice and share.

If you have never been you should plan to go someday.  It's a great day trip from the Tampa area but remember to leave it as quiet as you found it.

The route looks cool... thanks for the writeup.

Mike
swampy

Reply with quote  #39 

"For my part, I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to move..."

-Robert Louis Stevenson

The Cracker Adventure
Epilogue

The sun is up, the dogs are barking. Life is beginning to stir in a little town. Bags get packed and stowed away onto the bikes. It's now that we must leave to go to where we are familiar, to return to what we must do...

Historic Cedar Key in the early moring...

We take the long way around town to stay a bit longer. Turn right at the school and head up to the corner. Gas and a Quikie-Mart breakfast await.

Many stories can be told, of the the sport bikes that showed, the chopped up Buell Blast, and even of our new relationship with the Cedar Key Chief of Police...

But it all pales in comparison to the summer morning sun glistening off the water....

How to get home? By the road less travelled...

We ventured onto sections of the new DDS Gulf Coast Trail...

Dirt roads, trees and a rising sun...a Florida escape....

Bert and Bob seem to be enjoying themselves in the REAL Florida this weekend...

We continue along over more paved and dirt roads, Rich is enjoying yet another 10 mile stretch...

Bert finds some water to play in and we all find more conversations by that old tree where two roads meet. We stood and talked for an hour...as people do when you share not only the current experience, but others as well....

While not quite Cracker, it is a southern thing, and that's deep fried turkey! And where else to get it than at a place that pulls it;s name from the humble bird, and makes it a mainstay of the menu....

I won't delve into the conversations we were having at the table on the patio, but let's just say it had to do with opening lines like "You look hot" and "I'm Rich!" and a local country girl.... Oh yes, and Bob was playing with the cats...

But enough of that...

What is a southern tour without an Elvis sighting....

Here's DDS's own "Hunka Hunka Burning Love" posing "In The Ghetto".... But I must actually "Return To Sender" cause he's "Caught In A Trap" and if the Mrs finds out he'll be nuttin but a "Hound Dog". I can't think of any way to throw a Viva Las Vegas reference in here fella's, help a brother out!

So there you have it... our Cracker Adventure. Exploring Florida's past by riding in the present. Tasting the down home Florida lifestyles from coast to coast....

Just How Old IS Dirt, Exactly?
Reply with quote  #40 

Damn I sure missed a good one.

Yaller Foot Pegs $#8.95 plus shippin ( Damn gas )
Snap Off Foot Peg Company
But wait....
Due to the current economy shippin has gone up

Tiger Tom
Turn Signal Tom
Pops

05 KLR 650 (a future in farkling)
01 KTM 520 Tagged
77 CanAm 250 Qualifier
73 Penton 125 Six Day ( Restored )
95 Triumph Tiger( First DDS Tiger )

If your gonna be stupid you better be tough.( Damn, I gotta start workin out )

If it looks deep...it's deeper. Yep, ask Johnny Africa.

The best way out of most situations is more gas.
EbarDP48

Reply with quote  #41 

Whoooooooo there Mr. Swampy. You can't just throw a picture of the Gobbler up there and not give the "full story".
I'm going to let Rich tell his side of the story first, but there's a reason they call this place the Gobbler.
Hey Rich...why don't do give us that turkey call...er ah, Pick up line.

It started out something like...Hi, I'm Rich..............Now wat was the last part of that line.
Bert

suzukidirtbike

BONGO!
Reply with quote  #42 

DDS Lifetime member #0893
2007 Honda CB919 Hornet
1974 Honda XL 100
2003 Suzuki DR650 "SUPERTANKER!!"
EbarDP48

Reply with quote  #43 
Quote:
Here's DDS's own "Hunka Hunka Burning Love" posing "In The Ghetto".... But I must actually "Return To Sender" cause he's "Caught In A Trap" and if the Mrs finds out he'll be nuttin but a "Hound Dog". I can't think of any way to throw a Viva Las Vegas reference in here fella's, help a brother out!

Something about your post reminds me of an Elvis song...um, If I could just put my finger on it.

DRIVER

Reply with quote  #44 
WWED (What Would Elvis Drive)
Well, that's easy ... the same as any Florida cracker ...

WWER (What Would Elvis Ride)
Well, that's easy ... the same as any Dixie Dual Sporter... (note the farkles)

Now that we've settled that ... get back to Taking Care of Business.

Thank you ... thank you very much.

Mike
rich_in_orlando

DDS LifeTime Member
Reply with quote  #45 
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbarDP48

Whoooooooo there Mr. Swampy. You can't just throw a picture of the Gobbler up there and not give the "full story".
I'm going to let Rich tell his side of the story first, but there's a reason they call this place the Gobbler.
Hey Rich...why don't do give us that turkey call...er ah, Pick up line.

It started out something like...Hi, I'm Rich..............Now wat was the last part of that line.
Bert

Let me start out by saying that, for those who don't know me, I am a very attractive man.  To call me good-looking just doesn't do me justice.  I am at least a "handsome" and I am often mistaken for a male model.  Women are always throwing themselves at me in the strangest situations, even with my wife standing right next to me.  Some examples:  At the grocery store--  "Paper or plastic?"  I know what they are really getting at with THAT loaded question.  Waiting to get seated at the Steak and Shake-- "How many in your group?"  Yep, she wants me bad.  But sorry for her, I'm taken.  And then there was our waitress at Gobblers-- "You must be HOT in that!"  I get this all the time.

Needless to say, I have found over the years that If I lead women on too much, hearts get broken even if I am not looking my best.  The difficulty is with my first name.  When I introduce myself, I sometimes say "Hi, I'm Rich."  As you guys know, that's an instant turn-on.  I usually say "Hi, my name is Rich," just to turn down the heat in the these girls.  Couple that with "I'm hot" and it's like an Elvis concert circa 1965.  I can barely make it out of the laundrymat with all my clothes.

So all you young single guys take my advice and change your name to Richard, gain about 50 pounds and start losing your hair.  Wear really heavy MX riding gear everywhere you go and carry a huge rucksack.  Then when you introduce yourself, you can honestly say "Hi, I'm Rich and I'm Hot!"  You'll have to beat them off with a stick or some other blunt object.

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Rocky Mountain ATV/MC

Dedicated to Dirt and Street!

Florida-Georgia-Alabama-Tennessee-North Carolina-South Carolina-Virginia-Mississippi...And Beyond!