A Southern Tradition Since 1996!

Upcoming Events

AMA 2017 DS

Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 5      Prev   1   2   3   4   5   Next
jakbrand

Reply with quote  #16 

Reply with quote  #17 
I have to say that this was one of the best rides I've had in Florida.
This type of ride has become my favorite. A leisurely tour with a little asphalt, a little dirt. Plenty of wildlife, great company, cool little communities to visit. And the lunch on Saturday..Swampy, you're killing me....tell them about the lunch on Saturday before I blow a gasket.
Hey Jakbrand, You may need to get the Kawasaki from your dads and head our way some weekend.

Bert

Bert   09 KTM 530 07 Triumph Tiger 1050  06 Kawasaki KLR650 07 Yamaha YZ 250 1976 Husky WR250 1978 Suzuki RM250 1981 Honda CM 400 W/Velorex Sidecar Because the ride shouldn't end just because the pavement does! May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. -Edward Abbey Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. Harold McAlindon
jakbrand

Reply with quote  #18 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EbarDP48
I have to say that this was one of the best rides I've had in Florida.
This type of ride has become my favorite. A leisurely tour with a little asphalt, a little dirt. Plenty of wildlife, great company, cool little communities to visit. And the lunch on Saturday..Swampy, you're killing me....tell them about the lunch on Saturday before I blow a gasket.
Hey Jakbrand, You may need to get the Kawasaki from your dads and head our way some weekend.

Bert

I'm working on it.  Or plan B....a new KTM 690 with fully dressed adventure kit.

Reply with quote  #19 

Ah.... yes..... Bert.

He's just a little bit anxious to get to lunch, even if it's right here on the web! And I can't blame him. That's why you need to read:

The Cracker Adventure
Part 3

While travellling I like to immerse myself into the local "being". From breathing the air, to feeling the wind, to smelling the aromas which make make up our world. The world is a wonderful thing when you take a chance, do something a bit different and choose a road less travelled.

This includes not only the roadways and every metaphor for a journey, but also the countryside, the people, the places and the culture. People and culture meet in places, and the best places are in the countryside. Away from the hustle of city life. Away from artificial musings. It's all real. Real people. Real places.

Old roads such as this help with our journey. Narrow and winding through small towns that time may have forgotten. Past farms and fields. Rusting tin roofs and abondoned machinery in the fileds. Moss hangs from the trees that create the canopy under which we ride.

It's all about the journey, and the journey is the experience. The experience is the which is told....

So once again, we look at the clock and see it's just a few minutes past noon....

It's quiet on Cross Creek, except for the rustle of the oaks and the splash a bass makes chasing minnows. But stand long enough and you hear other things. A sandhill crane honks in the distance. Closer, a limpkin cries. Then the true opera begins. The frogs start quietly and build to a fevered pitch. The bullfrog shakes the earth with its basso profundo as little tree frogs delicately chirp. The pig frogs come in, singing in those sad oboe voices that touch your heart

The rains have held off for the day, yet as we dismount, it seems that the rains are guiding us indoors...

It is here where lunch will be...

The Yearling Restaurant

photo

The Yearling specializes in food rural Floridians had hunted, prepared and eaten for centuries. It isn't a place you frequent for a quick bite. Cross Creek is about 20 miles from Gainesville and the same distance from Ocala. It's a dozen miles from the interstate on lonely two-lane roads without street lamps. It's a destination, a place where you expect to sit a spell, chew the fat and afterward clean your choppers with a toothpick.

A place with menu fare that includes froglegs, gator, "cooter" (soft shell turtle), greens, onions rings, catfish, hushpuppies, sweet tea, and so many other Cracker delights that it will take a few trips back just to try a few more!...

As for me, I have two favorite words when it comes to food. Cajun & Catfish. Here, I found both words together in one place, for one food...

Bert and Bob (aka The Burger Boyz), indulge themselves on Field Grouper (hamburgers). But they also show some roots with greens and golden hushpupues to soak up the juice!

But Wait!

There's More!

When all is said and done, how do you top a Cracker lunch?

It's your choice of course, but bypass the mudpie and head for the delicious concoction of the Sour Orange Pie, much like a Key Lime pie but made with oranges, and topped with a sweet orange sauce!

That is unless you fancy a piece of the great Cracker Key Lime Pie!

Great food in a great atmosphere needs to matched by great service. And that was provided by Jordyn.

About atmosphere...

It's all cracker. From the finished wood to the fireplace. But there's more to a structure, it's how it's adorned! Here we have a building full of memorabilia from throughout the 1900's from old Coke signs, a working old black and white TV on a folding stand, muzzle loading rifles, deerheads and fireplaces.

These beauties were found on the mantle. Soda still inside the sealed bottles. The caps firmly in place with a thin layer of rust that can only happen on items that have sat for long periods of time.

With history there is always a personal connection. Here I am, in the middle of Cracker Country, and I can relate a childhood memory with specific items found here, creating the nostolgia we all seem to love.

For me it was this Royal Palm soda bottle. When I was growing up in Upstate New York, the general store in our town (yes, I said general store) used ot carry Royal Palm. I drank many a grape soda from those bottles in the early 70's. Just another reason to sit back and smile on what used to be.

Some may find old Coke machines interesting....

But Wait!

There's More!

At Cross Creek, it's a different world too, a world older and quieter and slower than towns even the size of Ocala. The cabbage palms rustle, the moths bombard the restaurant's outdoor lights, and the whippoorwills sing.

So does Willie Green. He used to live in Ocala. Green had no home, but he had a talent, singing the blues. He has a place to stay at Cross Creek. When the restaurant is open (Thurs - Sun), you can find him with his guitar and harmonica and he performs for customers.

"I'm 71, but I know I look older," he says. "I had some tough times, but God has led me here." His huge hands cover the strings as he picks out an old Jimmy Reed Tune. Then he sings an original, Baby, You Mine. Cross Creek was always a melting pot of cultures, from African-American to classic Cracker.

So turn on your speakers and sit back for the next 4 minutes and take in a bit of Mr Willie....

Life is an adventure, you need to make the most of it....

...and we're only halfway through Saturday......

Reply with quote  #20 
One thing Swampy failed to mention. We rode into Cross Creek with the skies about to open up. God smiled on us and allowed us to make it inside before the rains came down. And how the rains came down.
The funny thing was that it didn't really matter, We arrived just after 12:00 and I don't think we left until about 2:30. We just couldn't leave. The place was great, the food was great the atmosphere was great and Willy was da bomb. 2 1/2 hours passed like 20 minutes as time really seemed to stand still for us.
One thing I should warn you about..come with a very empty stomach..you won't leave with one.
I would say the only thing missing was a set of four hammocks to tap a nap in before heading West but they probably had them out back.

This is definitely worthy of a return trip...definitely

Bert   09 KTM 530 07 Triumph Tiger 1050  06 Kawasaki KLR650 07 Yamaha YZ 250 1976 Husky WR250 1978 Suzuki RM250 1981 Honda CM 400 W/Velorex Sidecar Because the ride shouldn't end just because the pavement does! May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. -Edward Abbey Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. Harold McAlindon
EbarDP48

Reply with quote  #21 
I had to review this again today at work...Man that was a great little ride..
Hum, If I get the lawn mowed, the bike washed, all my stuff loaded....I might just have time to head out again this weekend.
Naw...but I can see doing part of it again real soon.

Did I mention we had a great time?

Bert

advcracker

Swampy said it's okay.
How deep can it really be?
Reply with quote  #22 
Willie sounds like he's been living the blues his whole life. Very convincing blues player.

I've been told Swampy can smell good roads and has "good food radar" in his helmet. This seems to be true!

I'm loving the Cracker Adventure, keep it coming! I just wish I knew more about all these little inside jokes!

Reply with quote  #23 
Hey ADVCracker..
Maybe I can "spark" your interest in a "little" ride someday. At that time I'll spill the beans..
Bert

swampy

Reply with quote  #24 

See, that's one of the neat things about taking trips. You can share the basics of a ride, but you can't share the nuances that happen in any particular moment unless you are there to witness and put into perspective...

That's also how some folks wind up with nicknames... like "Swampy" for instance... or Hungry Jim.... SandShark/MudShark/RibShark/FernShark... now THAT one's funny!

That's just another reason to get out with some folks and ride!

Florida is beautiful and offers many things. Like the Cracker experience....

BONGO!
Reply with quote  #25 
Quote:
Originally Posted by swampy
FernShark

Sorry, Bill...  he just couldn't let it die.  That was a fun Cross-Florida adventure!  I guess Swampy is right.  You just can't put every nuance of a ride into words.

Not to pick on anyone in particular, we all take the path less traveled from time to time.  That's where the adventure is.  That's why I can now lay claim to "Mt. Parker".  That's right... When you do the Dragonslayer this year, Swampy will surely tell you, "This is the top of the mountain we planned on climbing.  That is now known as Mt. Parker, for the intrepid explorer who...  um...  missed a turn."

DDS Lifetime member #0893
2007 Honda CB919 Hornet
1974 Honda XL 100
2003 Suzuki DR650 "SUPERTANKER!!"
swampy

Reply with quote  #26 
Cracker.

Mirriam-Webster dictionary has 7 definitions to the meaning. Ours is the one that goes with 5b: "capitalized : a native or resident of Florida or Georgia —used as a nickname"

Guess that makes us Crackers!

The Cracker Adventure
Part 4

The rains part leaving us with the summertime humidity. But it also leaves us with the fresh smells that a rain washes to us. You need to be in a swamp to know what it means.

The Yearling restaurant gained it's name from the 1939 Pulitzer Prize winning book by Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings, The Yearling.

The story revolves around a child named Jody Baxter who lives with his parents, Ora and Penny Baxter, in the animal-filled Florida backwoods. The author paints a remarkable picture of life in central Florida at the turn of the century. His parents had three other children prior to Jody, but they died in infancy. He loves the outdoors and loves his family. He has wanted a pet for as long as he can remember, yet his mom (Ora) says that they only have enough food to feed themselves.

And the story winds on from there...

Welcome to Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings Historic State Park

Visitors to this Florida homestead can walk back in time to 1930s farm life. Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings lived and worked in the tiny community of Cross Creek. Her cracker style home and farm, where she lived for 25 years and wrote her Pulitzer prize-winning novel The Yearling, has been restored and is preserved as it was when she lived here. Rawlings´ farmyard, grove, and nature trails are open 9:00 a.m.to 5:00 p.m. daily, throughout the year. Visitors may tour the house with a ranger in period costume from October through July, Thursday through Sunday five times daily, except Thanksgiving and Christmas. Picnic facilities are located in the adjacent county park. Located in Cross Creek off County Road 325.

The first building we come to is the barn. It's small but functional, and is set up as an interpretive center for a presentation by one of the period-dressed park rangers.

It's also a gathering place for some Mallards... (Jakbrand picked up a little on the duck theme earlier!)

A much needed duck close up....adventure riding is a lot like a duck. You can hang out in water, tread around, honk you horn, wander aimlessly looking for something to eat........and you quack a lot.... did I mention water rolls off their back?

So heres the main house, restored to how it was in the 1930's. Fixtures and furnishings. Cracker.

On a typical Cracker house the second building was usually the kitchen and dining area. It was seperated by a breezeway. This actually made the house cool inside as the wids would channel through the breezeway taking the warm air from inside with it. On this house they were converted into a den and gueast rooms...

A sundial keeps watch of the passing time out in the front yard....

Having an interest in construction, Bert said he was just checking the architecture in general, and was looking for some ideas for his house... he was in there for a while so it must be true....

The back third of the house, complete with her Buick I think it was. Tag on the back is dated 1940...

Being a working homestead and being true to early Florida, there are many opportuities to see how people lived self-sufficantly.....

...and I'm not sure of Bob's intentions...we have gone Cracker for this tour... and they did have duck on the menu at The Yearling.... but alas.... the ducks were too quick for Bob... who now has to live with the fact he's not fast enough to catch a duck...

...and so from here we end the Cross Creek chapter of the journey. What lies ahead is the mythical and the historic...

The bikes rumble to life, and we pull away from Cross Creek...

Reply with quote  #27 

"It seems to me the earth may be borrowed but not bought. It may be used, but not owned. It gives itself in response to love and tending, offers its season flowering and fruiting. But we are tenants and not possessors, lovers and not masters."--Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings, Cross Creek

The Cracker Adventure

Part 5

This adventure is all about history and what we never seem to observe in our daily comings and goings. Always looking for the gem in the slag, it's there. We must first begin to look....

Leaving Cross Creek our path lead us to...

Not knowing who or why they named this river, a few things do make it an errie coincidence....

In ancient Greek mythology, Styx was one of 5 rivers that converged in Hades. Hades was described as a flowing marsh...

The rivers were guarded. Commonly known as The Ferryman, this guard would transport souls to the netherworld...

Rich crosses the River Styx without paying the Ferryman, which is a good thing as our journey can now continue...

We had to stop Bob who was digging out some pocket change. After Bert slapped him around a few times the came across the river without paying as well....

Rural Florida is a beautiful place. It's lined with old homes, former homesteads, and farm lands. Far, far away from the cities...

You won't find placeslike this in Tampa, Orlando, Miami, et al. You also won't find crowds, tourist traps, attractions, and man-made entertainment money pits. We're travelling where things are quiet and life is slow. They way it was and the way it should be...

Along the way we pass through towns with long histories, stories that folks don't know, reasons why they came to be. Places that were important to the fomation of the state in which we live, and were important in events that shaped tour country....

Welcome to Micanopy...

Most of the buildings are on the National Historic Register. In fact, Micanopy is the oldest inland settlement in Florida. As early as 1539 there is record of a village located at the site of Micanopy when explorer Hernando De Soto found the Timucuan Indians living here.

A Seminole Indian village named Cuscowilla was located on the site when the naturalist William Bartram visited in 1774. The town was included in a land grant made by the King of Spain in 1817 to Don Fernando del la Maza Arredondo of Havana and St. Augustine. Eventually the fertile soil was used to produce sugar cane and then citrus.

Edward M. Wanton was hired to promote settlement in the area, and not long after Florida became a U.S. territory in 1821. In 1823 Moses Elias Levy established the first white settlement. Wanton was the name of the first post office established in Alachua County in 1826.

A fort established there about 1831 to protect settlers from hostile Indians remained until after the Second Seminole War (1835-42). Micanopy has been continuously settled since 1821 and was listed on National Register of Historic Places in 1983.The town was simultaneously referred to as "Micanope" after the Seminole Indian chief (Left ca., 1785- 1847) head chief of the Seminoles in the Seminole War; Micanopy means "head chief." The name officially changed to "Micanopy" in 1834.

Reply with quote  #28 

One of the great little towns in Florida

Micanopy is a nice little slice of real Florida Cracker history.

Our view as we head North into town

Image:MicanopyD.jpg

Lots of neat ol cracker buildings like this one

and this one

Many are used as stores today

A little town and state history

Lot's of hanging moss and oak trees forming canopy covered streets in Micanopy.

Cgmicanopypix_311

04 YZ 250
07 V Strom 650
71 Honda Cl70 project
Too many sold bikes to keep track of.
Because the ride shouldn't end just because the pavement does!

04 YZ 250
07 V Strom 650
71 Honda Cl70 project
Too many sold bikes to keep track of.
Because the ride shouldn't end just because the pavement does!

EbarDP48

Reply with quote  #29 
Just had to look back over the ride..Um, Um good
Bert

swampy

Reply with quote  #30 

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
- Mark Twain

The Cracker Adventure
Part 6

Every adventure carries with it a unique character. So from weithin, some from the outside....

Just like a scruffy dog or the wayward cat, Bob seems to attract lost souls...

Really cool wall mural in Trenton. There's even an old restored train station that acts as the Historical Society. There's even another wall mural just up the street....

We stop in the middle of no where. We've been here before. Nowhere really but here in the middle of it, though it's a bit different from the other nowhere yet it continues to be a continuation of the original nowhere. So let's call this West Nowhere....

See right there... nowhere....

Look...even more No Where....but farther down that road is North West No Where which is just a stones throw away from BFE, but you have to cross the river first...

Here's something cracker...The Suwannee River....

The Suwannee River flows southerly from the Okeefenokee Swamp in Georgia to the Gulf of Mexico in Florida, topographically slicing the Florida panhandle from the rest of the state.

Stephan C. Foster wrote "The Swanee River" in 1851. Foster is reported to have chosen the "Swanee" because its two-syllable cadence fit nicely into the music he had composed. It could not have been due to a familiarity with the river's Florida section, since Foster never visited the state.

Through House Resolution No. 22 in 1935, S. P. Robineau of Miami successfully entered "The Swanee River" as the official state song, replacing "Florida, My Florida," which had been adopted as the State Song in 1913. By 1935 Foster's rightful position as a writer and composer had been established

Next up: The Final Leg

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Rocky Mountain ATV/MC

Dedicated to Dirt and Street!

Florida-Georgia-Alabama-Tennessee-North Carolina-South Carolina-Virginia-Mississippi...And Beyond!