A Southern Tradition Since 1996!

Upcoming Events

AMA 2017 DS

Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
Yamahakid

Knock, Knock...
Reply with quote  #1 
Got a chance to go to the Coker creek/Tellico Plains area next week. Anybody have any info. around that area, or better yet, is anybody going to be up in that area during the labor day week? Would love to hook up with some of you. I've been to the Tellico riding area many years ago, but I hear it's closed or going to be closed, but that's okay I didn't care for it anyway.
Any roads that are really interesting or is there any out of the way trails that could be explored?

Thanks
CaptD

I Like To Ride Nekkid!
Reply with quote  #2 
Check with Mini Mike owner of TMO - Tellico Motorcycle Outfitters and ask about his shop ride. I believe they have one once a month. Also give a yell out to Danny, a DDS member and owner of Crawfords Campground. They just had the Screaming Beaver Dual Sport Ride last weekend (pics over at http://www.advrider.com under regional areas - the Southeast). Crawfords Camp is quickly becoming the Dual Sport headquarters in that area as you can ride NC, TN and GA all in the same day. Danny can give you a route map for dual sporting in WNC and ETN that they ride on a regular basis. I have ridden it and its great. You can make a side trip and ride the Dragon if you like. If Danny isn't busy you may just get lucky and get your own personal guide. He rides a DRZ 400. He has cabins for rent at the campground if your not a camper. Tell him Capt D told you about him and the camp. http://www.crawfordsattellico.com

Knock, Knock...
Reply with quote  #3 
Great info. CaptD.

I will follow your advice and make some calls. I have heard of Crawfords,just haven't been there yet.
Anybody around that week that wants to ride, I'm there all week and check my mail and forum daily.
Thanks again.
Yamahakid

Knock, Knock...
Reply with quote  #4 
Going back up to Coker Creek area on Oct 24-28.
Anybody want to ride?
Yamahakid

Knock, Knock...
Reply with quote  #5 

Still going, so anybody up that way that might want to go, let me know.

DragonNester

Kazoo Virtuoso
Reply with quote  #6 
Well, better late than never or in this case for the next time you're in the area.  Here is the web address of a local web forum for dual sporting in the area.  Python423 has many trails mapped and posted on the site.  A good GPS is a must in some of the more rough, primitive areas.  With all the rain (all year) there's a lot of water crossings and eroded trails to contend with.  What was an easy trail could be a moderate or difficult trail now.

http://www.tnadvriders.com/

The Unicoi Trail, Cherokee Nat'l Forest Trail # 82, (starts at hwy 68) is right out side Coker Creek...for that matter there are many forest roads and trails of all degrees of difficultly.  Most with views to make them worth the challenge.

National Geographic makes a great topo map of the Cherokee Nat'l Forest.

PM me if you make another trip and I'll ride some trails or the Cherohala Skyway with you.

'12 Yamaha wr250r
'10 KTM 990 Adventure
'01 Triumph Legend tt (wife's)
Yamahakid

Knock, Knock...
Reply with quote  #7 
Hey DragonNester, you just made my day.
A buddy and I are going back up to the Coker creek area next week, we will  get there the 25th(am) and staying until Sunday the 29th. Bringing our DRZ's and our motards for the Cherohala, would love to have you join us, even if you can only sneak out for a day being it's Thanksgiving week/holiday, it will be a hoot.
We have ridden a lot of Forrest roads, some single track (trail #81 I think), but we found a killer trail off of hwy 143, turn on Buffalo road and ride to the end, which turns to dirt. This turns into a wicked trail with rocks, hill climbs, and creek crossings. It comes out on the Cherohala Skyway somewhere around the state line between Tn. and N.C.
We rode this the last time we were up there and the clouds was rolling in from the overcast weather which made it even more challenging to ride.
I'll PM you tonight.

Thanks
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Rocky Mountain ATV/MC

Dedicated to Dirt and Street!

Florida-Georgia-Alabama-Tennessee-North Carolina-South Carolina-Virginia-Mississippi...And Beyond!