Rocky Mountain ATV/MC

A Southern Tradition Since 1996!

Upcoming Events

2019 Event Has SOLD OUT IN 25 HOURS!

Author   Comment  
swampy

Reply with quote  #1 
Nice procedure for changing those tires at home!

http://www.easterndirt.com/?p=531

Free Beer Tommorrow!
Reply with quote  #2 

If I had a helper like that, I'd never get anything done..LOL!

http://forum.dixiedualsport.com/tool/post/dixiedualsport/vpost?id=3137784

Avid supporter of the:
DDS #1551
AMA #306298
Thumper Talk
KLR650.net
mudpie

Is MiamiMike Really
From Vancouver?
Reply with quote  #3 
It's tire changing time in our household.  One tip not mentioned is to position new tire with white dot opposite of valve stem.  Start at valve stem and work around to the dot.  Not sure where we found that tip but I guess the dot is where the weakest spot on tire is.  Also, hair dryer has helped soften rubber on cold day/night.
stubbjr

Hey! It's My Birthday!
Reply with quote  #4 
 One more tip on softening the tires in cool weather: drive to the market for a six-pack of your favorite beverage and upon your return put the tire under the hood on top of the engine, close hood and let the engine heat warm the tire while you enjoy your beverage.
 Rick
 05 EXC400

They're Always After
Me Lucky Charms!
Reply with quote  #5 

Another tip from "Mark" who rides a dr350 or 400. Sorry I dont know his last name. Told me to put a big "C" clamp on the tire to keep the two beads together & in valley/groove (180 deggrees)from the last final section of bead your trying to force in place. I tried it & did help. Thanks! "MARK"

BONGO!
Reply with quote  #6 
IMHO one thing I don't agree with....tightening down the valve stem nut. If I run a valve stem nut, I tighten it up against the valve cap if & not against the rim. If the tire slips on the rim it will tear the valve stem off, if the valve is fastened against the rim. With the VS loose , it will allow it to slip a little & not tear. Hard braking or acceleration on a surface with good traction can sometimes cause the tire to move on the rim even with rimlocks.

PS: If you have to ride with a flat for  someways, always check you Rimlock for damage. Running on a flat will sometimes wear the RL down & give it a sharp edges that will ultimately ruin your new tube/ tire real fast.

KTM 300XC, KTM 1190R, 1988 KTM 350, Sherco 3.0 Trials, 79 Husky 390WR, Honda XR650R, Honda Grom,  Yamaha Zuma, KDX200, KX500, Apollo Pitbike,                TEAM WANKER...Only Pussy's die of natural causes! Member of the Solo Mile High Club! Check out Team Wanker on Facebook!
bork

They're Always After
Me Lucky Charms!
Reply with quote  #7 

Good point, I agree!!!

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Rocky Mountain ATV/MC

Dedicated to Dirt and Street!

Florida-Georgia-Alabama-Tennessee-North Carolina-South Carolina-Virginia-Mississippi...And Beyond!