Rocky Mountain ATV/MC

A Southern Tradition Since 1996!

Upcoming Events

2019 Event Has SOLD OUT IN 25 HOURS!

Author   Comment  
explorit

See Rock City
Reply with quote  #1 
In preparing my WR450 for Devils Creek I put new tires on it...and decided to do the wheel bearings while I had the wheels off. Last time I did wheel bearings we had a heck of a time. My bearing extractor would get hung up on the tube between the bearings and it would not open far enough to catch the bearing. I knew there had to be a better way to do this...

Then I saw a video where a guy pushes the tube (between the bearings) to one side and drove the bearing out hitting it from side to side. I did not like this method as it seems as though that would be really hard on the aluminum hub (cocking the bearing from side to side until it came out).

But a friend told me of a cool trick to get them out, and it works great. You weld a nut or washer on the inner part of the bearing on one side (I used two tacks). Then using a piece of bar stock (I used a big bolt), insert it through the bearing hole on the other side and drive the bearing out with a hammer (only took a couple of hits). Then pull the tube out and using a little bit bigger bar (I used the head of the same bolt), drive the other bearing out from the other side. I drove the bearings out of one wheel in 5 minutes. Both wheels in 10 minutes! Wow!

Bill
13 KTM 500 EXC
15 Triumph Tiger 800

rabbitrandy

I Just Got A Letter From AARP....
Reply with quote  #2 

[aaarg]Pictures----need pictures!

TEAM DUMB-ASS [member#001]
TEAM SMART-ASS

A good rider has balance, judgment, and timing.......so does a good wife.

Randy and Robin West

Growing Bolder not Older

'03 GL 1800
'01 DRZ 400

I like slow walks on the beach & poking at dead things with a stick.
explorit

See Rock City
Reply with quote  #3 
OK, here's some pic's at http://s1122.photobucket.com/user/explorer3114/library/Wheel%20bearing%20removal.
Each pic has a description. LOL...note my fancy fishing weight sinkers I use for wheel weights in the second pic. They work great. It takes a lot of weight to offset a rim lock.

Bill
13 KTM 500 EXC
15 Triumph Tiger 800

rabbitrandy

I Just Got A Letter From AARP....
Reply with quote  #4 
great idea if you have a welder. not sure my welding capabilities would be sufficient without screwing up the hub. How bout JB weld? [doh]
TEAM DUMB-ASS [member#001]
TEAM SMART-ASS

A good rider has balance, judgment, and timing.......so does a good wife.

Randy and Robin West

Growing Bolder not Older

'03 GL 1800
'01 DRZ 400

I like slow walks on the beach & poking at dead things with a stick.
explorit

See Rock City
Reply with quote  #5 
I doubt JB Weld would work. If you can weld...I'm sure you can do it. Just a tack on each side will do the trick.

Bill
13 KTM 500 EXC
15 Triumph Tiger 800

explorit

See Rock City
Reply with quote  #6 
FYI: I set the wheel on a small barrel to take these pic's. When I actually drove the bearings out...I had 4X4's under the hub to support it on top of my workbench.

Bill
13 KTM 500 EXC
15 Triumph Tiger 800

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Rocky Mountain ATV/MC

Dedicated to Dirt and Street!

Florida-Georgia-Alabama-Tennessee-North Carolina-South Carolina-Virginia-Mississippi...And Beyond!