Upcoming Events

Registration Opens January 2, 2019

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 2      1   2   Next
swampy

Reply with quote  #1 
Hey Bert, show us your barber pics!

Reply with quote  #2 
You asked for it..You got it.

1st the Britten. I think this was #7 of 8 built. Do a search for it online...interesting man that built it and interesting bit of Motorcycle history.

Here's one for you. It's a learner CZ. Notice the twin handlebars and the dual controls. I wouldn't want to teach a newbie on a bike like this.

The Yamaha DT 250. Original king of the Dual Sport bikes.

When I say they have a great selection of track bikes......I mean a great selection of "All years of track bikes"!

And Classics

including American bobber iron

There were some real odds and ends hanging around this place. Like a Dan Gurney Alligator, and a great military section and this seemingly not so out of the norm Kawasaki two stroke....Ah, grasshopper...think again.

Here's how my conversation went with Bob Mehl as we were looking at it from one story above...
Bert: Bob...it's a Kawasaki Triple

Bob: That's no triple

Bert: Yes, triple...it's an..I think H-2 Triple. Don't you remember the cycle ads? A Kawasaki TRIPLE I tell you!!!!!

Bob: count the pipes.

Bert: One, Two, Three. See a T-R-I-P-L-E Bob. Jez....

Bob: Now count the other side.

Bert: What the...Four, Five.  A Kawasaki 5 cylinder???

Seems some guy in England grafted a couple engines together and came up with a 850cc Kawasaki 5 cylinder 2stroke. Now that thing should be exciting to ride.
Here's the picture.

That's enough to get your attention. You got to take a trip to Barbers. It's a slice of motorcycle heaven.
Bert

Bert   09 KTM 530 07 Triumph Tiger 1050  06 Kawasaki KLR650 07 Yamaha YZ 250 1976 Husky WR250 1978 Suzuki RM250 1981 Honda CM 400 W/Velorex Sidecar Because the ride shouldn't end just because the pavement does! May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. -Edward Abbey Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. Harold McAlindon
2slo

DDS Rocks!
Reply with quote  #3 
Brian Slark, one of the museum guys was riding that Kawaski 850 5 cylinder around the perimeter road during the last AMA race up there.  The museum is a must do and al the bikes are operational.

Does This Bike
Make My Butt Look Fat?
Reply with quote  #4 
If you ever get to ride on the track, you will love it.  Great surface

PS.  If you happen to been in the Kitty Litter pit on turn 13A look for my brother's SPLEEN.  Seems he lost it there a couple of years ago!

1992 Yamaha TDM850
2003 Beta Rev3
Scope

They're Always After
Me Lucky Charms!
Reply with quote  #5 

Did a SCCA road race weekend there a year ago.  My non motorcycle wife really enjoyed the museum.  Nice tribute to John Surtees and George Barber also has the largest collection of Lotus cars in the US.  See what a dairy farmers son with lots of land can grow up to be.  Oh' and if you go on a race weekend, you can view the track as you check out the museum

EbarDP48

Reply with quote  #6 
Those that enjoy Barbers may want to check out my Ga. / Al. ride report.
http://www.websitetoolbox.com/tool/post/dixiedualsport/vpost?id=3007158&trail=15
Lots of pictures from this years Barbers vintage days.
Bert

Bert   09 KTM 530 07 Triumph Tiger 1050  06 Kawasaki KLR650 07 Yamaha YZ 250 1976 Husky WR250 1978 Suzuki RM250 1981 Honda CM 400 W/Velorex Sidecar Because the ride shouldn't end just because the pavement does! May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. -Edward Abbey Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. Harold McAlindon
beastrider

Is MiamiMike Really
From Vancouver?
Reply with quote  #7 
Here are a few pics

WOW...Barber Museum Ride ...PICS PICS

I don't know how better to describe this than WOW.....fantastic...
here is the front entrance....over 1000 motorcycles plus cars etc

As you approach the front door....

Now you have to remember that this place has over a 1000 motorcycles plus cars etc.....it has 5 floors...is located in Birmingham Alabama...and has a race track ...and all kinds of other stuff. I was tired of cold weather so decided to go to Florida and golf.....but stopped here in Alabama....WOW!!!

Here are a few shots of the inside...I know it looks like a minature garage with little bikes etc.....IT IS NOT... big pic shots next...

So here are some individual ones...I will not make too many comments just so you folks can enjoy....I am sure this may bring back some memories ...

Ice racing machine....these races only went counter clockwise which is why the left handlebar is the way it is....cool spikes on the tires.

So here are some individual ones...I will not make too many comments just so you folks can enjoy....I am sure this may bring back some memories ...

Ice racing machine....these races only went counter clockwise which is why the left handlebar is the way it is....cool spikes on the tires.

More..

Hope you like them....there are over 1100 bikes there....you only , as was I, were able to see about 190...cheers.
Beast Rider is online now   Edit/Nuke Message Reply With Quote

mr_guns

Brought To You By Tom's Yaller Snap-Off Foot Pegs!
Reply with quote  #8 

I'm still drooling

Good, Bad, and Ugly
Reply with quote  #9 

Another COOL report by the Beast. I have been there as well. The cool thing is that they rotate those bikes around so when you visit the museum there will always be something you did not see the last time you visited. The other cool fact is all those bike will actually run. I will be back.

01 Suzuki DR-Z250
06 Triumph Tiger
96 Yamaha XT225 (Mel's bike she doesn't ride)
79 XS650F Rode it from 1985 to 94 Needs TLC
75 DT250B Since I was 19 

"Life Changing is when you no longer have a Bike"
EbarDP48

Reply with quote  #10 
Beast...I love Barbers. When walking around at Barbers it's like when I was a kid having all my Hot Wheels stacked in a little display rack on the shelf...only here at Barbers the display is 5 stories tall.
Bert

beastrider

Is MiamiMike Really
From Vancouver?
Reply with quote  #11 

Bert, reminds me of the same, in fact when some folks see the above pic, they think it's a bunch of small models because they can't believe there would be so many bikes in one place....real ones at least. What a collection...and I think they still have a few hundred yet to be restored.

gunz

Flea Market Next Left...
Reply with quote  #12 

What , no pics of capt. America ( replica) or deja blue ducati?  Its a cool museum and racetrack. I havent been ther in over a year I need to get back up there again... Great pics.

beastrider

Is MiamiMike Really
From Vancouver?
Reply with quote  #13 

Yup...next time I am going to have to bring a bunch of extra batteries....my camera died cause there is so much to see and take pics of....what a place...I need to get down there again this year and spend a full day at least in the place.

gunz

Flea Market Next Left...
Reply with quote  #14 

I could spend a day in there easily...

AST236

Look At The Size Of THAT Tank!
Reply with quote  #15 
I drove up a few weeks ago from Evergreen and watched the Daytona Prototypes, production cars, Indy cars. It was a great weekend. Spent about three hours in the museum between the two days. Plan to go back again in September for the SCCA regionals and maybe for the Superbike races and maybe in October for the vintage motorcycle swap meet. A great place to spend some time.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Rocky Mountain ATV/MC

Dedicated to Dirt and Street!

Florida-Georgia-Alabama-Tennessee-North Carolina-South Carolina-Virginia-Mississippi...And Beyond!