<< <
A Southern Tradition Since 1996!

Harbor Freight Tools - Save 25% to 50% Off! Camping Gear at Basspro.com
Register Calendar New Posts

Author Comment

jakbrand

Reply with quote  #1 

Did you know 62 miles of singletrack through Withlacoochee State Forest is open to motorcycles?  It's true.   The Forest Service allows motos on this fantastic trail one day each year to run the Orange State Enduro.  The fact that it is open to motorcycles only one day per year means the course is not beat to death from constant abuse.  Most of the loamy track twists and turns under a shady canopy of mature oak and tall pine.  Only at brief prairie crossings does it rarely break into full sun.  The course packs a surprising amount of elevation change as it dives into numerous abandoned mining pits.  Beware, some of the climbs exiting the pits are very technical.  A few sections of energy sapping sand whoops are thrown in to remind everyone that were still stuck in Florida.

Photo of Jakbrand struggling courtesy of Mike Belle 

My goal was to finish in good spirits, so I rode conservative.  No crashes, injuries or mechanical failures in 4 hours of racing.  I passed only one person the entire race.  The poor guy was laying on the side of the trail in agony with a broken leg.  I placed dead last in my class nearly 2 hours behind the overall winner,  but avoided a dreaded DNF.

Jakbrand on the second loop photo courtesy of Mike Belle 

Ride on!

DRIVER

Reply with quote  #2 

But first DDS finisher ... right?

Cool ...

Mike

jakbrand

Reply with quote  #3 

Not even close. 

Lee Daley  was probably the first DDS rider. 

Heck, there was a DDS rider on my row that finished about an hour ahead of me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIVER

But first DDS finisher ... right?

Cool ...

Mike

stubbjr

Hey! It's My Birthday!
Reply with quote  #4 
  Howdy Jack! Was that your first enduro? Several of our Apollo members were there, including that real slow guy, Lee.
jakbrand

Reply with quote  #5 

Hey Stubb!   

Lee started a few rows behind me, so it was only a matter of minutes before he zipped by.  He rides smooth and deceptively fast.

It was my first enduro since 1981.  You might say I was a little rusty after 30 years. 

EbarDP48

Reply with quote  #6 
Whoooopie and way to go Jack!
Bert
rpmmike

DDS Rocks!
Reply with quote  #7 

I'm in for next year, Looks super fun!

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Rocky Mountain ATV/MC

Dedicated to Dirt and Street!

Florida-Georgia-Alabama-Tennessee-North Carolina-South Carolina-Virginia-Mississippi...And Beyond!